Thursday, February 2, 2023

Imbolc, Saint Brigid's, & Groundhog Day

1/2 the grid = outage and revert
(Gyazo picture taken of SL World Map by LGH GM Kasabian Constantine, as we watched 50% of the grid revert)

Yesterday was LL-Break-It-Day, er, I mean, weekly reset day.  Each region will be reset each week, on either Tuesday or Wednesday.  RC Channel regions start their weekly reset on Wednesday.  Apparently, some lazy-ish script coding led to some disaster and the necessity to revert 50% of the grid.  Since SL's integration of their servers to the Amazon Cloud, which I fondly refer to as "the LL fart," it is mostly undeterminable (or at least harder to figure out) as to which regions are still considered RC Channel.  

The fun started as soon as I noticed that both Zamargad (my home) and Business Park (of LGH) are on RC Channel.  Early on in the morning, Linden Gold Hunt fishing rods were no longer working due to this bug.  Someone noticed and shared a JIRA being tracked.  The chaos was a bit quelled with players' realizations that older versions of their rods or even Beginner rods were able to still function, while Wili worked on replacing them.  However, some residents faced trouble logging back in or rebaking.  Several orange cloud avatars were still able to use their rods by touching them from inventory, while others were able to simply adjust their shape to get their avatar back.  We all anxiously watched the Grid Status page for over 6 hours.

Last LL-Break-It-Day included a repetitive sound issue, and Wili replaced my rod then.  During this issue, my new rod became broken and my old one from that previous mess seemed to work again.  As I couldn't go home, I decided to take my chances by continuing to fish, while observing the World Map before each teleport.  If the region wasn't red, it was good to go to, and even better if there were dots already on it (representing residents).  

After all was said and done, several residents reported several rezzed items missing.  As I'm still rebuilding Zamargad (from having just acquired it all back, being distracted by helping Spider with his Peach project, and SL kid having decorated meanwhile), I haven't noticed much impact, compared to some of the things I heard about breedable companies needing to shell out massive food to keep several players' investments alive during all this.

The best thing I can say from witnessing this experience firsthand, is that when this kind of trouble ensues, residents do end up throwing their normal disdain for one another out the window, and band together to find ways to make the grid function on the whole, anyway.  Very impressive and I thank you for that.  Here's to the greater good of tenacity, progress, and prevalence.



No comments:

Post a Comment